The parentals come visit!

This update is kind of delayed but I’ve been super busy so you have to forgive me.

On Wednesday, November 3, my parents arrived in London! It was a beautiful, sunny fall morning, and after a stressful class registration thanks to this terrible internet (although I did get every single class I wanted at the time I wanted), I walked to my parents hotel (thank you Tube strike) to greet them. I knocked on the door to their room and Mom answered. After giving her a huge hug, I went to hug Dad and then ELENA POPPED OUT FROM BEHIND THE BED!!!! I was so surprised/ecstatic to see her that I screamed and jumped up and down before I could even hug her! I had no idea my parents were bringing her! It was such a great surprise because I’d missed my little sister so so so much! After relaxing at the hotel and catching up for a while, I had to leave for my art class. My class was taking a field trip to Kensington Palace to see the Enchanted Castle display, which is where they transform the palace into an enchanted world of the seven princesses who had lived in the castle. Since this was a fun exhibition, I was able to bring Elena along with me! Her first college class: age 12. After the castle we met up with my parents and went to the Warwick Castle Pub near my flat for dinner, and then a French cafe for dessert. We called it an early night since my parents were exhausted.

The next morning we met for breakfast at my favorite pancake place for Kaasballens and Dutch Pancakes. I decided to skip class (come on, I hadn’t skipped any all semester) to go with my family to the aquarium. After the aquarium, we took Elena to see Big Ben, Westminster Abbey and Trafalgar Square. We had some time to kill before our play that night so I suggested we go through the National Gallery since they have a lot of famous paintings (Van Gogh’s, Monet’s, Cerat’s, Da Vinci’s, Michelangelo’s)  and my parents really enjoyed that. That night we went to see Jersey Boys! In case you haven’t heard of it, Jersey Boys is a music that tells the story of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. The play was so good and the music was of course amazing! We all really loved it and couldn’t get the songs out of our heads for the next few days.

Elena, Dad and I on the lions in Trafalgar

The next morning we decided to go to the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace. Alright, I know it’s famous and everyone wants to see it, but let me tell you, it was quite possibly the most boring thing I’ve ever watched. It’s not that exciting to watch a bunch of guards just stand there and stomp every few minutes. After about 20 minutes, none of us could handle any more of it so we left. We took the tube to St. Paul’s where we viewed the cathedral and had the most delicious burgers at Gourmet Burger Kitchen. Who would have thought I’d have to go to England to eat the best burger of my life? We briefly went into the Tate Modern so I could show my parents a display of 1o0 million hand made, hand painted, porcelain sunflower seeds in the Turbine Hall. Sarah and I attempted to steal one from the display but got yelled at  by the guard for going under the barrier. Woops. After that, we decided to go to Harrod’s since I hadn’t been yet. Oh. My. Gosh. Harrod’s = Heaven for a shopper, Hell for a bank account. Sarah, Elena and I headed to the shoe section first of course. After falling in love with every single designer shoe, and crying at the price tags, we had to move on before we made any irrational decisions. We next went to Christmas world (the 365 days a year Christmas section) and saw the most gorgeous themed Christmas trees and Christmas decorations. After browsing through housewares, designer clothes, and furniture, we stumbled upon my future home. The Fendi Casa. The Fendi Casa is a display apartment furnished by the designer, Fendi. There were the coolest circle chairs, chandeliers, bedazzled pillows, mod tables and chairs and princessy beds. We weren’t allowed to take pictures but I managed to sneak one. We spent around 20 minutes in there pretending we lived there. I will be rich and I will own everything in the Fendi Casa. After we finally managed to tear ourselves away, we headed downstairs to the food section. And by food section, I mean food section of the gods. There was the most amazing smelling food at the restaurants, fresh baked bread from the bakery, gelato in 20 flavors, amazing meats and cheeses and the most perfect looking fruits and vegetables. So Mom and Dad if you see a large Harrod’s charge on the credit card it’s because I’ve started doing my grocery shopping there…. There is also an amazing candy section with chocolate shoes, huge cakes and even £2000 gold tea. We finally made it out of Harrod’s without becoming bankrupt, my purchase being an adorable ’50’s style apron. After Harrod’s we went to back home and ordered Thai food for dinner.


Saturday morning we went to the world famous Portobello Market. We made some amazing Ghanian food, delicious apple cream puff pastries, quiches, and brownies. We browsed the antique vendors and bought some authentic souvenirs. After the market we went to Abbey Road since Elena loves the Beatles. Then I took my parents to Oxford Street to see the christmas lights and then go to Primark, where I got a fur vest and Elena got some clothes too.

Sunday morning, I had to do an independent art walk for my art class, but I didn’t want to do it alone since it was through East London, so I brought my Dad along. We were given ipods and headphones and had to follow the artists instructions on this walk down Jack the Ripper alleyways, past markets and even into a church. It was a bit creepy, especially because it was hard to tell what sounds were real and which were coming from the audio. We’d had a bit of a problem with the tubes earlier because some were closed for repairs (they’re trying to get everything ready for the Olympics) and there was a signal failure on another line, causing severe delays, so we got a later start then planned. We had to meet Mom and Elena for our river cruise/London Eye Flight at 2:45 and we didn’t finish the walk until 2, and we were in a totally different part of town. We didn’t want to risk the tubes again and the bus would take too long, so we hailed a cab and instructed him to get us to the London Eye as quick as he could. We had quite the nice cabby who made sure he went as fast as he safely could. He dropped us off right in front of the Eye at 2:40 and we sprinted into the ticket office only to find out the 2:45 cruise was cancelled because of high tide so we had to wait until 3:45 anyway. It actually worked out better anyway, since we were on the cruise at sunset (yes, the sun sets at like 4:30 now). The cruise went all the way down the Thames, from the Houses of Parliament to Southwark. We then went on our London Eye flight. The London Eye is the giant ferris wheel that offers incredible 360 degree views of the city. It was night time, which made the view all the more gorgeous with the twinkling lights of the city spread out below us. That night we went to a Mediterranean restaurant for my belated birthday dinner.

Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament at sunset (if you look closely you can see Westminster behind Big Ben)

For our last day, we went to Eastbourne to see the chalk cliffs at Beachy Head. I had been wanting to see the cliffs for a while since I’d heard they were gorgeous. The highest cliff in England is at Beachy Head. Unfortunately, we didn’t have a very good day weather wise. It was freezing cold, windy and rainy. Mom wasn’t sure she wanted to go up to the cliffs once we got there, but after much convincing we finally got a cab to drive us there. We got out at the cliffs, which had stunning views but unfortunately we couldn’t go very close to the edge because it was too windy. I’ve never felt wind so strong. I was walking with my umbrella when suddenly my umbrella flipped inside out, breaking half the stokes and then the wind spun me around so fast, I couldn’t even walk in a straight line. If we had gotten any closer to the edge, we wouldn’t have been strong enough to resist the wind and probably would have been blown off. It was definitely worth it to see though. We went back into town where we had the most delicious lunch at a pub. Mom and I split a honey roasted pumpkin sandwich with goat cheese and red onion marmalade, and a broccoli/cauliflower/potato casserole in a white wine sauce. So yummy. We walked around the town for a little while and then returned to London. That night we went out for Chinese food and then had frozen yogurt at a place called Frog, that was a bit like Pinkberry. I then had to say goodbye to my parents 😦 But I get to see them in less than 3 weeks and I’m so glad they were able to come!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: